It’s been a week from the time when a teenage girl was molested and assaulted by a mob outside a pub in Guwahati. Six suspects were rounded up and were arrested so far since the incident date. Recently, five more people have been arrested in connection with the molestation of the girl outside a pub in Guwahati. This takes the total number of arrests so far to 11. Though, the main suspect, Amar Jyoti Kalita, spotted in a red jersey in the video of the incident, is still absconding. Police sources had said that Amar Jyoti Kalita might have fled to Odisha, and thus a search was on in Odisha too. “Today we arrested Rupkanta Kalita from Nalbari and search operations are on in Guwahati and nearby areas, including Meghalaya where the other three other main accused may have taken refuge,” a senior official said on Monday. Meanwhile, the latest arrest came hours after Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi’s 48-hour deadline to nab the culprits ended. Formerly, Gogoi issued a deadline to the police to arrest all the accused, identified in the video also ended on Monday.
The police in Guwahati have initiated a substantial search operation since the video of the incident was broadcasted across the TV news channels, sparking nationwide outrage. The search has spread to Odisha as well where Amar Jyoti Kalita might have fled to. News agency PTI reports that Kalita, spotted in a red jersey in the video, has fled to Odisha. The police have come under fire from all quarters over the incident. A sub-inspector was suspended on Sunday. CNN-IBN has accessed the details of the National Commission for Women’s report that charges the police for acting late.
The role of the journalist, Gaurav Jyoti Neog, who captured the confrontation on camera, is also under assessment. Activists claim that he initiated the mob. Some reports say that he has resigned awaiting a probe. Neog alleged the charges against him were ‘malicious and wild’. “There are allegations leveled against me that I orchestrated the molestation on the girl on GS Road on the night on July 9. I strongly deny and refute the allegations as malicious and wild,” he said. Neog said he had carried out his professional duties as a liable journalist by asking for a camera unit from his office and filmed the “nightmarish incident to fulfill the social responsibility of identifying the molesters and get them punished.” He also appealed the management of the channel to relieve him of his duties till he was cleared of the charges and said he felt it was his responsibility to enable a free and fair trial. “I will cooperate with the investigation process … I would like to come back and join the organization again with my head held high,” he added.
NCW Panel member Alka Lamba and CM’s office names Guwahati molestation victim, releases photo:
Meanwhile, after the NCW sacked its member Alka Lamba for revealing the victim’s identity, the Assam government repeated a similar blunder. The Department of Information and Public Relations released the name of the victim and photographs of her meeting Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday – a clear defiance of the law that says a victim’s individuality must always be protected and with held. The state government later requests the media to not carry the photograph or the name of the victim. This happened even as NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma apologized to the girl and her family for the lapse in discretion on part of its probe team member Alka Lamba, who has been sacked. “I agree completely that it should not have happened, and for this, I apologize to the girl and her family.” The NCW was slated to submit its report by 2 pm on Monday, but it got delayed because of the faux pas on the part of the panel member. The NCW member had even safeguarded naming the victim, pointing that the report was not complete. A three-member NCW team had visited Guwahati and met the victim on Saturday. They had blamed the police for reacting late in trying to save the girl.
In the meantime, Assam’s Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi met the victim on Monday evening and promised more security and monetary relief to her. Also, the SSP of Guwahati, Apurba Jiban Baruah, was transferred. City SSP Apurba Jiban Baruah, who had termed the Class XI student’s ordeal as a stray incident that was hyped by the national media, has been transferred to Dibrugarh and replaced by SP of that city Arabinda Kalita, official sources said. The transfer followed the demand by the NCW for the removal of Baruah and public outrage over the incident. Even after one week of the incident the police have not been able to arrest all those involved in the heinous incident.
Tarun Gogoi’s deadline to the police to nab all the suspects had ended on Monday to arrest all the 12 people identified in the video that went viral on the internet. Gogoi today also declared that the case will be handed over to CID. He said key accused Amarjyoti Kalita was traced to Bhubaneswar but Odisha Police said their Assam counterpart were yet to contact them on the matter. Gogoi also slammed the local news channel that aired the footage of the molestation saying its role was “unethical”.
- Eight persons arrested in Guwahati molestation case
- Guwahati molestation: Assam police yet to visit Odisha
- Guwahati molestation: Controversy over disclosure of identity of victim
- Guwahati molestation: SC moved for compensation to victim
- Guwahati molestation: Journalist to be questioned
- Police reacted late: NCW on Guwahati molestation case
- Guwahati shame: Prime accused in Bhubaneswar, says CM
- Guwahati shame: Opp members walk out of Assembly
- Guwahati shame: TV journo`s role unethical, says CM
Note: Matter collectively rearranged from Zee News and IBN Live websites. The basic idea is to create awareness in our countrymen towards this one of basic plus evil disease spreading in our society.